Explore the many ingredients of the country and have your own take of our numerous Filipino cuisine. Intrigued what makes our Leche Flan special amongst the many other desserts of the world? Well, the secret lies with our Dayap! Yes, cook this sweet dish with dayap and surely you’ll see hands raising for their seconds.
1 240ml pack all-purpose cream, refrigerated and thawed
¾ cup refined white sugar
10 pieces egg yolks
1 110ml condensed milk
2 tablespoon juice of dayap
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon dayap zest
For the Caramel Syrup:
½ c packed brown sugar + 3-4 T water
In a pan, combine sugar water. Cook over low heat and melt the sugar completely. However, DO NOT STIR — let the sugar dissolve on its own. Let it cook in low to medium heat. Cook until it caramelizes.
- Pour over prepared pan or llanera. Use immediately to avoid lumps.
- In a bowl, using a hand mixer, whisk all-purpose cream and sugar.Make sure that the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add egg yolks, vanilla extract, dayap juice and dayap zest. Continue whisking until well incorporated.
- Pour condense milk gradually. Continue whisking.
- Pour mixture in llanera with caramel sauce at the bottom.
- Using a steamer or a rice cooker, fill container with water and top with steam plate. Cover and cook for 30-40 minutes or when pricked with a toothpick, it comes out clean.
- Once cooked, let it cool and refrigerate to your liking. Before serving, let llanera sit in hot water before running a knife through its sides.